I’m a waffle addict. If we’re going out to breakfast, you can bet I’m probably eyeing the waffle section, then sighing to myself in disappointment as I order off the “lighter fare” menu. Fear not! I have found the solution to my waffle dilemma, and it comes in a big black box from Costco:
Power cakes are amazing and they are the base for all my waffles! Here, I cut down the power cake powder and sub in mushrooms and protein powder, to amp the protein content up even more and cut down on the carbs.
Mega Mushroom Waffle
- 0.25 cup, Power Cakes
- 1.00 cup, Mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 0.25 cup(s), Onion Raw Chopped
- 1.00 Extra Large Wilcox Egg
- 0.25 scoop, Quest All Purpose Protein Powder
- Spices: I like to sprinkle on Lawry’s, black pepper, cayenne, italian seasoning, turmeric, garlic granules, and chili powder to taste
- Water as needed
- Crack your egg in a bowl and whisk.
- Add the power cakes mix and protein powder and stir. Add water if needed.
- Add in chopped mushrooms, onions, and spices. Add more water as needed. You want your batter to be thick, but you want to make sure all the mushrooms get coated.
- Pour your batter into a waffle iron and let cook. Leave it in there for a little longer than you think to make sure it cooks all the way. Makes 1 large waffle!
This recipe is very versatile and you can add in other veggies to the mix! Just be sure to watch your ratios because too much veggies and not enough waffle mix won’t cook up very well. Serves really well with sautéed greens and veggies. I got lazy and just ate it with raw greens here, but still delicious 🙂 Feel free to also add 1/2 T to 1 T of oil if you want a crispier waffle.