If you’re ever in Tuscaloosa, you’ve got to make a trip to Cypress Inn for their famous Cypress Inn Muffins! Just a day or two before the Mr. popped the big question, he took me to Cypress Inn for dinner with promises of the most amazing muffins I’ve ever tasted. They were so addicting, and the recipe is posted in a newspaper clipping on the wall! I baked basketfuls of these muffins for our wedding, and ever since, have wanted to try a healthified version so I wouldn’t feel so guilty for eating handfuls at a time. Today was that day! Below, I’ll give you both recipes – the original, as well as my lightened-up version.
Original Cypress Inn Muffins
Restaurant website: http://cypressinnrestaurant.com/facilities/cypress-inn/ (EAT HERE!)
- 1.00 container (10 cup (53g) ea.), Raisin Bran Crunch
- 3.00 cup, Sugar White
- 5.00 cup, Plain Flour White
- 5.00 tsp(s), Leavening agents, baking soda
- 2.00 tsp(s), Salt, table
- 1.50 tsp(s), Spices – Cinnamon, ground
- 1.50 tsp(s), Spices, cloves, ground
- 1.00 tsp(s), Spices, nutmeg, ground
- 4.00 large, Eggs – Whole, raw
- 1.00 cup(s), Oil – Vegetable, canola
- 4.00 cup, Milk, buttermilk, fluid, cultured, lowfat
- 1.00 tbsp(s), Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix liquid ingredients in a mixer.
- Add dry ingredients. Let batter set for five minutes before filling tins.
- Grease mini muffin tins with butter flavored spray. Fill tins 2/3 full (DO NOT OVERFILL!). Also, don’t try to bake more than 2 tins at a time (I learned these tips while attempting to bake 300 muffins for our wedding…).
- Bake 9 minutes. Check muffins and allow up to another minute or two if needed. Allow to cool on cooling rack. This recipe makes approximately 168 muffins. (Nutritional info at the bottom)
Lightened-Up Cypress Inn Muffins
I quartered the recipe and actually got 44 muffins with the proportions below. Half the fat, half the carbs, twice the protein!
- 106.00 g (1/2 c), Power Cakes (100% Whole Grains Flapjack and Waffle Mix)
- 0.25 container (12 cup (30g) ea.), Bran Flakes Cereal (about 3 cups)
- 2.00 scoop (oz), Quest Protein Powder – Vanilla Milkshake
- 0.25 cup, Whole Wheat Flour
- 1.25 tsp, Leavening agents, baking soda
- 0.50 tsp(s), Salt, table
- 0.50 tsp(s), Spices – Cinnamon, ground
- 0.50 tsp, Spices, cloves, ground
- 0.25 tsp, Spices, nutmeg, ground
- 1.00 egg, Extra Large Grade Aa Egg
- 1.00 tbsp, Canola Oil
- 0.25 Cup, Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 0.90 cup, Almond Original
- 1.00 Tbsp(s), Lemon juice – Raw
- Follow the instructions above! The batter will be a bit thicker, so you won’t have to worry so much about overfilling. Just be sure you aim for about 2/3.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes. Pull them out of the oven, let cool for about 2 minutes before you try to pop them out of the tin.