My younger sister is in town, so I wanted to find a fun recipe for us to try out. I stumbled upon these coconut flour chia crackers and decided to spice them up with a couple different essential oils. You can adjust the texture of these crackers based on how thin you roll them out and how long you bake them.
Gluten-Free Italian Herbed Chia Crackers
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground chia seeds (I ran mine through a coffee grinder)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup boiled water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- 2 drops Young Living Black Pepper Vitality essential oil
- 2 drops Young Living Taste of Italy essential oil
*Feel free to flavor these with your own combinations of Vitality oils – Rosemary, Basil, Ginger…so many possibilities!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a whisk to incorporate the coconut flour, chia seeds, garlic, and salt.
- Add the coconut oil then pour the hot water on top slowly, while stirring with a spoon, to melt it.
- Add the essential oils and stir until the dough holds together in a small ball.
- Roll out the dough on a sheet of ungreased parchment paper (the thinner you roll it, the crispier your crackers). If the dough starts to pull apart, you can easily squish it back together with your fingers.
- Use a pizza cutter or a knife to slice into squares. It’s ok if they are not uniform (gives more of a “rustic” look).
- Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes. Check on your crackers and continue baking for 3 minute intervals until desired crispness is reached. We kept ours in for about 26 minutes.
- Taste test! If your crackers need more salt, sprinkle on top then stick in the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Let cool then break apart into squares.